Featured Golf News
Vogel Rolls to Title in U.S. Amateur Public Links
T.J. Vogel of Miami, Fla., won the first hole and never looked back in the U.S. Amateur Public Links at Soldier Hollow Golf Course in Midway, Utah.
The University of Florida senior was 10-up on Kevin Aylwin of New Smyrna Beach, Fla., through 18 holes of the 36-hole championship match, and closed out matters for good with a birdie - his 10th of the day - on the par-5 eighth hole in the afternoon for a resounding 12 & 10 victory.
Besides a USGA title, the win earns Vogel a spot in next year's Masters Tournament. "It's too surreal now to think I'll be playing in the Masters," he told reporters. "Once I get that invitation, it will hit me."
A rainstorm in the afternoon didn't affect Vogel, and Aylwin faced a Sisyphean battle all day against a player who fired eight birdies in just the opening 18. "I was just trying to stay out there as long as I could," said Aylwin.
Vogel had all the shots Saturday, and it showed. "I felt like I could carry the weight of the world on my shoulders this week," he said. "That's how confident I felt with my game."
For scoring details, visit http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869204&year=2012&type=061.
- McIlroy to Move from Golf Course to Courtroom
- 66th Hudson Cup & 23rd Senior Hudson Cup Matches Set this Week at Tualatin Country Club
- Green Slopes for Strategy
- The Architect's Progress - No Rough at Crestwood Gives the Course a Little Pine Valley & Prairie Dunes Flavor (Part 3)
- December a Big Month for Tiger - and Golf