Featured Golf News
Thirteen Stars in Galaxy of Texas Golf Holes
Holes on courses designed, routed or master-planned by Bechtol Golf Design principal Roy Bechtol make up 13 of the 96 top holes in Texas in the coffee-table book, "Spectacular Golf of Texas," published by Panache Partners, LLC, of Dallas.
"Spectacular Golf of Texas," subtitled "An Exclusive Collection of Great Golf Holes in Texas," features a handful of the Lone Star State's most scenic and unforgettable golf holes at private country clubs, resorts and public courses. Each hole is showcased in a two-page spread with photography from well-known golf photographers. The book also informs readers about the challenge of each hole and history as well strategic tips.
"It is a real treat to have holes from our courses portrayed in such stunning fashion," Bechtol said. "This is a book that I would be honored to have in my home, even if there was not such a group of our holes contained in the photos and text. Looking at these pictures reminds me of the times I walked the raw land and had a vision of these holes in my mind. Obviously, from what we see in these pages, that vision became reality on a grand scale."
"Spectacular Golf of Texas" is the first book in a series that will be expanded to other great golf regions across the country, including holes in North and South Carolina, Arizona, Southern California, Florida and Colorado. Brian Carabet, publisher of "Spectacular Golf of Texas" and Panache Partners co-founder and a golf enthusiast, said that this series of books is a nice complement to his company's shelter-industry titles.
"Over the years," Carabet added, "my business partner, John Shand, and I have conceptualized quite a few book series ideas on the golf course, so publishing a book about golf holes was enjoyable on many levels. Being able to feature so many creations of Roy Bechtol and having the privilege of Byron Nelson writing the foreword made the publishing journey all the more meaningful."
In this collection, the individual golf hole is the star, not the course, although any of the courses will keep golfers entertained for the entire round. About 100 different holes are featured in the 9-inch by 12-inch book that will evoke fond memories or inspire travel plans for avid golfers. The book is separated into three Texas (and Texas-sized) regions - North Texas, Hill Country and South Texas. Ten of the 13 holes and courses influenced by Bechtol featured in "Spectacular Golf of Texas" are in the Hill Country:
* The par-5 fourth hole at Riverplace Country Club in Austin (renovation with Tom Kite).
* The par-4 16th hole at the Canyons Course at Barton Creek Resort and Spa in Austin (master planning of community, course routing with Tom Fazio).
* The par-4 16th hole at the Foothills Course at Barton Creek Resort and Spa in Austin (master planning of community, course routing with Tom Fazio).
* The par-4 ninth at The Club at Comanche Trace in Kerrville (design with Kite and Randy Russell).
* The par-4 fifth at The Golf Club at Circle C in Austin (routing of course and design with Jay Morrish).
* The par-4 18th hole at the Resort Course at the La Cantera Resort in San Antonio (routing of course designed by Tom Weiskopf and Jay Morrish).
* The par-4 seventh at The University of Texas Golf Club in Austin (design with Russell).
* The par-4 15th hole at The University of Texas Golf Club in Austin (design with Russell).
* The par-3 seventh hole at Hills Course at The Hills Country Club in Lakeway (routing of course designed by Jack Nicklaus).
* The par-3 second at the Flintrock Course at The Hills Country Club in Lakeway (routing of course designed by Nicklaus and Jack Nicklaus II).
Texas" are in the South Texas region and all are on the Ambush Course at the Lajitas Resort in the Big Bend Region. The book contains spreads on the par-5 18th (also featured on the title page), the par-3 13th and - on the book's final page - the unique par-1 hole - No. 11A, at which players tee off in Texas and play to a green that is across the Rio Grande in Mexico.
"It is neat that 'Spectacular Golf' starts and ends with holes designed by Bechtol Golf," Bechtol concluded. "Those are my kind of bookends. We are really happy to be included in such a special book and that people will recognize our work from these pictures and stories."
About Bechtol Golf Design
Bechtol Golf Design's principal, Roy Bechtol has designed more than 50 golf courses throughout the United States either as the lead architect or as a collaborator with other golf course designers. Bechtol Golf Design (www.bechtolgolfdesign.com) combines technology with creative, traditional design practices to determine the best possible plan for land development. Upcoming projects include courses in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, in the mountains of Panama, in the Colorado Rocky Mountains near Vail, on the coast of Mexico, in the hills of western Virginia, in the Texas Hill Country along the upper banks of Lake Travis and on Mustang Island on the Texas coast. Bechtol Golf Design's completed projects, together with those via Roy's continuing relationship with World Golf Hall of Famer Tom Kite, include:
* The Waterford Club (Smithwick, Texas)
* Gaillardia Country Club (Oklahoma City)
* The Club at Comanche Trace (Kerrville, Texas)
* Legends on Lake LBJ (Kingsland, Texas)
* Riverplace Golf Club (Austin)
* The Golf Club at Somersett (Reno)
* The University of Texas Golf Club (Austin, Texas)
* The Golf Club of Texas (San Antonio)
* The Golf Club at Star Ranch (Hutto, Texas)
* Black Bear Golf Club (Delhi, Louisiana)
* ShadowGlen Golf Club (Manor, Texas)
* The Ambush at Lajitas (Lajitas, Texas)
* ConCan Country Club (North Uvalde County, Texas)
* Saddle Creek (Copperopolis, Calif.)
* Great Hills Country Club (Austin)
* El Paso Country Club (El Paso)
* Diamondback Golf Academy (San Antonio)
About Panache Partners
"Spectacular Golf of Texas" is a Panache Partners publication. Carabet and Shand founded Panache Partners in 2003. With more than 25 years of experience in the publishing industry and upwards of 100 books and magazines published in their careers, they are drawn to providing high-end publications to readers who simply demand the best. Panache Partners creates series and custom publications and specializes in coffee-table books showcasing lifestyle subjects, including high-end interior design, custom home building, architecture, golf, wine and luxury travel. To order a copy, visit www.panache.com.
"Spectacular Golf of Texas," Panache Partners. 208 pages, $39.95 (hardcover), ISBN 1-933415-26-6
- Remodel of Historic Wilmington GC Complete
- McIlroy to Move from Golf Course to Courtroom
- 66th Hudson Cup & 23rd Senior Hudson Cup Matches Set this Week at Tualatin Country Club
- Green Slopes for Strategy
- The Architect's Progress - No Rough at Crestwood Gives the Course a Little Pine Valley & Prairie Dunes Flavor (Part 3)