Featured Golf News
Pelican Hill Golf Club Reopens
Two years after Pelican Hill Golf Club closed to allow Tom Fazio to renovate the two courses he designed, the layouts are back in action along with a new clubhouse, an updated practice facility and a restaurant.
The club and grill are the first components to open at the Resort at Pelican Hill, a destination resort overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The resort in Newport Coast, Calif., offers bungalows and villas, a spa, restaurants, function space for every event and a "Coliseum" pool that will open in fall 2008.
"Pelican Hill Golf Club is one of golf's finest gems," said Steve Friedlander, the resort's general manager. "We are thrilled to open our doors again, this time with two courses that are even more beautiful and playable, an exquisitely designed new clubhouse, excellent practice facility and an exceptional restaurant with incomparable golf course and ocean views."
Highlights of the renovation efforts include major updates to the courses - Pelican Hill Ocean North and Pelican Hill Ocean South, each of which boasts many holes alongside the Pacific Ocean. Fazio first designed the courses in the early 1990s and returned in 2005 to oversee a series of enhancements to the aesthetics, turf quality and playing conditions. The improvements include:
* Re-turfing of fairways and tees with Tifway II hybrid bermuda to achieve a consistent look, texture and playing surface year-round, while also eliminating the need for annual overseeding.
* Converting roughs to a cool-season blend of tall fescue and rye, to contrast with the Tifway II hybrid bermuda on the fairways in color and texture, adding definition.
* Adding 25 new bunkers and adjusting bunkers on many holes to enhance strategy or aesthetics.
* Recapturing vistas framed by the natural environment by adopting lower-growing and native plants.
* Installing a water-quality system to conserve and recycle water from both the courses and the resort that environmental experts say is the most advanced on the California coast.
* Sand-capping high-traffic areas to create better turf quality.
* Expanding collars on some greens to give golfers more choices on how to play shots.
* Rebuilding tees on both courses, including a new sand base and resurfacing with Bermuda.
* A number of new tees to enhance the playing strategy or aesthetics and to add 200 yards to the courses.
* Re-contouring fairways to enhance drainage and resurfacing cart paths with a new concrete developed to buffer cracking.
The new clubhouse is inspired by the work of Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio. It's perched above the courses and the Pacific Ocean, and features men's and women's locker rooms and lounges with a full array of appointments and amenities; the Pelican Grill restaurant and bar; Caffé II espresso bar; and a golf shop.
The practice facility contains a new golf academy guided by Instruction Director Glenn Deck. The driving range features a fairway, bunkers and a green that mimics an actual hole.
Guest fees for each course are $235, including a golf cart. Easily accessible, Pelican Hill Golf Club is located 10 minutes from Orange County’s John Wayne Airport, 45 minutes from LAX, and adjacent to Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. For more information or a tee time, call 877/735-4226 or 949-467-6800, or visit www.pelicanhill.com.