Featured Golf News
New Course in Maryland Set to Open
On May 1st a grand opening will be held for Lake Presidential, an 18-hole course that winds through the new Beechtree community in Upper Marlboro, Md. Residents and local golfers are anticipating the layout's debut. "The course is going to open at a really good level, and we expect to do almost 4,000 rounds in May," said head pro Nathan Presnal.
In August, the course will host the MAPGA Senior/Quarter Century Championship, and in May 2009 it will host the qualifier for the Maryland State Open. The fact that the course will begin hosting tournaments as early as this summer speaks to its readiness and quality. "It's going to have a mature feel right out of the gate," noted Presnal. "If you look at our trees they're already 60- to 120-feet tall."
The course was created by Landmark Land, a developer that also built Kiawah Island Ocean Course (host of the 1991 PGA Ryder Cup), Oak Tree Golf Club (site of the 1998 PGA Championship), and Doonbeg Golf Club in County Clare, Ireland.
"We knew the very first time we walked the land that this course was going to be special," said Aref Hinedi, vice president of Marketing with Ryko Development, Beechtree's developer. "With the stream valley lake, the rolling topography and, of course, the acres of mature trees, Beechtree is a dream setting for a PGA-quality golf course."
Lake Presidential's clubhouse will open its doors on May 1 along with the course. "The clubhouse is approximately 11,000 square feet, which is a really good size for a public, daily-fee facility," said Presnal. "It's also going to offer amenities not usually associated with public facilities, such as a restaurant with full bar, conference room, and closed-door dining room where you could entertain clients after a round of golf. It gives the feel of a private club experience without having to pay dues."
Presnal will be assisted by three other PGA pros to help players improve their games. "Having PGA members and proven, certified instructors here further speaks to our commitment to quality," he said.
Beechtree community is located off Route 301, about 10 minutes from the Beltway and 30 minutes from Washington, D.C. Over 600 of its 1,200 acres are dedicated to the golf course, a 30-acre lake, woodlands, open space, and amenities such as the Beechtree Swim & Racquet Club, which will overlook the course and lake. Upon completion, Beechtree will boast over $30 million worth of amenities.
- American Team All Set for Inaugural International Crown
- DeLaet Looking to Break Winless String for Canadians
- New Jersey's Apple Ridge Country Club Gets New Ownership
- Remodeled Country Club of Jackson to Host Sanderson Farms Championship
- USGA Announces Qualifying Sites for 2015 U.S. Amateur Four-Ball
- Sweet Virginia! VA squanders enormous lead, rallies late to win 19.5 - 18.5 over Maryland in Potomac Cup
- Maryland Not Intimidated By Virginia's Deeper Roster
- A River Runs Through It: Potomac Cup Matches Fuel Maryland-Virginia Rivalry
- Bobby Weed to Design Washington National
- Renditions – Golf’s “Grand Slam” Experience