Featured Golf News
Matthew Sets Pace in LPGA Event
Scotland's Catriona Matthew posted an 8-under 64 to rise to the top of the leaderboard in the Airbus LPGA Classic. The $1.3 million event began Thursday on the Magnolia Grove course in Mobile, Ala., a stop on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail.
Matthew, a 44-year-old from Edinburgh with four LPGA titles and another six on the Ladies European Tour, recorded seven birdies, an eagle on the par-5 13th and a lone bogey for a one-stroke lead over 18-year-old Charley Hull of England.
Two strokes back are Norway's Suzann Pettersen, South Korean Eun-Hee Ji and American Stacy Lewis.
The No. 2-ranked Lewis had seven birdies - including four straight to end her round - and a bogey for a 66. Pettersen is fourth in the Rolex World Ranking.
No. 1-ranked Inbee Park got off to a rocky start with a 74 that included five bogeys and three birdies. No. 5 Karrie Webb of Australia had a 71 - a score matched by defending champion Jennifer Johnson, and sixth-ranked Lexi Thompson a 70.
No. 2 Lydia Ko isn't playing this week, nor is the winner of last week's Kingsmill Championship, Lizette Salas.
For all the scores, visit www.lpga.com.
- St. Andrews Set for Historic Vote
- Kingsley Club & Belvedere Are Northern Michigan Standouts
- McIlroy Wins PGA of America's Player of the Year & Vardon Trophy Awards
- Medalist & Six-Time USGA Champion Port Ousted as U.S. Senior Women's Amateur Moves on to Quarterfinals
- Lefty to Design Course in Calgary