Featured Golf News
Matsubara Medalist at U.S. Women's Amateur; WIns First Round of Match Play
Japan's Yumi Matsubara fired a championship-record 7-under 64 to take medalist honors in the 2013 U.S. Women's Amateur. The event is taking place at the 6,488-yard, par-71 Country Club of Charleston in South Carolina.
Matsubara finished the 36-hole portion of the championship on Tuesday at 7-under 135, which tied the qualifying record by Courtney (Swaim) Trimble at Sleepy Hollow Country Club in Scarborough, N.Y., in 2002.
Her 64 bettered the previous low qualifying score of 65 set by Rachel Rohanna in the opening round of the 2010 U.S. Women's Amateur at Charlotte (N.C.) Country Club.
Matsubara, who carded seven birdies, finished five strokes ahead of a trio of players at 2-under 140 - Allisen Corpuz, of Honolulu; Emma Talley, of Princeton, Ky.; and Yueer Cindy Feng, of Orlando, Fla.
"I wasn't even thinking about the championship record, but it feels very good," said Matsubara through a translator.
In her first round of match play Wednesday, Matsubara edged Bianca Maria Fabrizio of Italy 2 and 1.
For updated match-play scores, visit http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869348&year=2013&type=reversetree.
- Remodel of Historic Wilmington GC Complete
- McIlroy to Move from Golf Course to Courtroom
- 66th Hudson Cup & 23rd Senior Hudson Cup Matches Set this Week at Tualatin Country Club
- Green Slopes for Strategy
- The Architect's Progress - No Rough at Crestwood Gives the Course a Little Pine Valley & Prairie Dunes Flavor (Part 3)