Featured Golf News
Frost in Front at Toshiba Classic; Couples in the Mix
David Frost carded an 8-under 63 to take the first-round lead in the Toshiba Classic. The $1.75 million, 54-hole Champions Tour event began Friday at the par-71 Newport Beach Country Club in Southern California.
The 53-year-old Frost got off to a nice start, carding three birdies on the front nine for a 3-under 32. On the back side the South African really got warmed up, adding five more birdies to forge a one-stroke lead over Fred Couples.
Couples, a 2013 inductee in the World Golf Hall of Fame and the winner of the 2010 Toshiba Classic, also played well, posting five birdies on the outward half and three more - against a lone bogey - on the back nine.
Alone in third after a 66 is Jim Gallagher, Jr., while another stroke back are Chien Soon Lu, D.A. Weibring, Barry Lane and Bernhard Langer.
Nine players posted 68s. Defending champion Loren Roberts was among eight who shot 69s; 11 carded 1-under 70s.
For all the scores, visit http://www.pgatour.com/champions/leaderboard.html.
- Finalists Set for U.S. Senior Women's Amateur Championship
- St. Andrews Set for Historic Vote
- Kingsley Club & Belvedere Are Northern Michigan Standouts
- McIlroy Wins PGA of America's Player of the Year & Vardon Trophy Awards
- Medalist & Six-Time USGA Champion Port Ousted as U.S. Senior Women's Amateur Moves on to Quarterfinals