Featured Golf News
Four Players Named to U.S. Walker Cup Team
Although it's still a bit early, four of the 10 amateur players who will comprise the 2011 USA Walker Cup Team have been selected by the International Team Selection Committee of the United States Golf Association.
The 2011 Walker Cup Match will be played September 10-11 at Royal Aberdeen Golf Club in Aberdeen, Scotland.
The players are:
Patrick Cantlay, 19, Los Alamitos, Calif.
Harris English, 22, Thomasville, Ga.
Russell Henley, 22, Macon, Ga.
Peter Uihlein, 21, Orlando, Fla.
The remainder of the team that will compete against 10 amateurs representing Great Britain and Ireland will be named later this summer. The captain of the USA Team is Jim Holtgrieve, 63, of St. Louis, Mo., who was a playing member of the 1979, 1981 and 1983 USA Teams, as well as the 1981 U.S. Mid-Amateur champion.
The biennial Walker Cup Match consists of 18 singles matches and eight foursomes (alternate-shot) matches over the competition's two days. The USA Team has won the last three Matches and leads the series overall, 34-7-1.
For biographical information on the above players, visit www.usga.org/news/2011/August/USA-Walker-Cup-Team-Bios.
The above report is courtesy of the USGA. For more information, visit www.usga.org.
- Remodel of Historic Wilmington GC Complete
- McIlroy to Move from Golf Course to Courtroom
- 66th Hudson Cup & 23rd Senior Hudson Cup Matches Set this Week at Tualatin Country Club
- Green Slopes for Strategy
- The Architect's Progress - No Rough at Crestwood Gives the Course a Little Pine Valley & Prairie Dunes Flavor (Part 3)