Donald & McIlroy Head Home


The two top-ranked players in the world, Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy, did not get past the 36-hole cut and qualify for the weekend at the U.S. Open, now underway at Olympic Club in San Francisco.

Both got off to poor starts, with No. 1 Donald posting a 9-over 79 Thursday and following that up with a 72 today. McIlroy, who roared to an eight-shot victory in last year's Open at Congressional, carded rounds of 77 and 72. Though all the second rounds haven't been completed, the cut line is likely to be in the neighborhood of 7- or 8-over.

Donald was resigned to his fate after completing his round Friday. "It's not going to be good enough to play the weekend," the Englishman said. "I was a little off. And that's going to get you around a U.S. Open course.

"I think I missed nine putts inside 10 feet yesterday and just couldn't get the feel for the greens, the reads, the speed."

McIlroy's opening two rounds are symptomatic of his recent play; the 23-year-old from Northern Ireland has missed four cuts in his past five tournaments.

"If the cut is nine (over) I won't be feeling too good tonight," said the 23-year-old after clearing his locker at Olympic. Over two rounds McIlroy carded 13 bogeys and only three birdies.

Donald and McIlroy played with Lee Westwood in the first two rounds. With rounds of 73 and 72, No. 3-ranked Westwood is in good shape to qualify for the final 36 holes.

After his second round Donald, who had 14 bogeys and three birdies over two days, expressed frustration in continuing to be the best-player-never-to-have-won-a-major. "I want to win a (major) more than any of you guys know," he said. "And, obviously, I'll continue to try and do that."

GolfVite Updates


CBS Sports Official Partner