Featured Golf News
2013 PGA of America Award Honorees Announced
Master Professional Michael Doctor, in his 28th season as the head professional at Skaneateles (N.Y.) Country Club, has been named recipient of the 2013 Golf Professional of the Year, the highest annual honor bestowed upon a PGA of America member.
Doctor, 62, a resident of Camillus, N.Y., heads the 2013 PGA of America award class that will be honored in a ceremony, Wednesday, January 22, in conjunction with the 61st PGA Merchandise Show. The PGA of America Awards ceremony will be held in the Chapin Theater of the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla.
Born in Buffalo, N.Y., and the son of a PGA professional, Doctor was raised in Plattsburgh, a community in northeastern New York. From as early as the fourth grade, Doctor committed himself to building a career as a PGA professional. Elected to PGA membership in 1979, Doctor has served two terms on the national PGA Board of Directors. He also excelled in section leadership roles on the Board of Directors of the Northeastern New York PGA through 1984, and he has served two terms as president of the Central New York PGA Section.
Doctor is the 59th recipient of the PGA Golf Professional of the Year Award, and is the second member of the Central New York PGA Section to receive this honor (Harry Shepard of Elmira was first in 1956).
Other recipients of 2013 PGA of America Awards to be honored January 22 include:
• Lou Guzzi of Glenside, Pa. - PGA Teacher of the Year
• Nicole Weller of Savannah, Ga. - PGA Junior Golf Leader
• Daniel Pasternak of Morristown, N.J. - Bill Strausbaugh Award
• John Hughes of Haines City, Fla. - Horton Smith Award
• Jordan Young of Flat Rock, Mich. - PGA Player Development Award
The PGA of America will also present two national awards on November 23 at its 97th Annual Meeting at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina in San Diego, Calif. The recipients and awards:
• Bob Beach of Braintree, Mass. - Patriot Award
• Tennessee PGA Section - Herb Graffis Award (for exemplary contributions to Player Development)
Finally, the 2013 PGA Merchandisers of the Year will be honored January 17 at the Hammock Beach Resort in Palm Coast, Fla. They are:
• Josue Reyes of Kohler, Wis. - Resort Facilities
• Richard Kline of Kutztown, Pa. - Public Facilities
• Scott Paris of Westfield, N.J. - Private Facilities
"We are blessed with a talented class of national award recipients who have always represented our Association at the highest level," said PGA of America president Ted Bishop. "They have been natural-born leaders and impact-makers in their respective fields. Whether it is in the golf shop, on the lesson tee or in front of community leaders, we are proud that this award class serves as the gold standard in the industry."
The above report is courtesy of the PGA of America. For more information, visit www.pga.com.